October 30, 2015 – Portland, Oregon – JAMS is pleased to announce that Stephanie Cavanaugh has joined the school as a teacher. Ms. Cavanaugh was selected based on her teaching experience and familiarity with Japanese culture (in addition to being fluent in Japanese, she lived in Japan in 2011 – 2012).
“We’re very excited to have Stephanie join our team,” said Sensei Miwako. “She will enhance our ability to teach our students, as well as providing an opportunity to increase our enrollment. It’s not a common thing to find a person with her classroom experience and knowledge of the Japanese culture. That makes for a big win for us and we’re looking forward to watching Stephanie help our students to grow their skills!”
Stephanie relocated to Oregon in 2014, and shares a home with her husband Robby (who works at Nike) and their Shiba-Inu dog, Haku. She has fallen in love with the natural beauty of Oregon and enjoys hiking and exploring as often as possible. Also outside of the classroom Stephanie loves to cook, read, and record voice-overs. She has a BA in Japanese Language and Culture from UCLA, is fluent in Japanese and fell in love with teaching in a tiny town in Japan. Excited to join the JAMS teaching team, Stephanie has been awed by what the children can do at JAMS through learning with the abacus… and looks forward to helping them achieve their learning goals!
- University of California—Los Angeles (2006-2009) / GPA: 3.73 / BA: Japanese Language and Culture
- Early Childhood Education—Child & Adolescent Development, Principles and Practices of Teaching Young
Children, Infant and Toddler Development, Child Family and Community
- UCLA Extension—Linguistics for TESL Educators, Methods of Teaching ESL
- Teacher: Childroots Center for Young Children, Portland, OR (2014 to 2015)
- ELD Teacher: Excelsior School, Pasadena, CA (2012 to 2013)
- Elementary English Language Teacher: Interac Co Ltd. Tokyo, Japan (2011 to 2012)
- ELD Tutor: SLK Learning Center, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA (2012)
- English Language Teacher: Kaplan International Center at Whittier College, Whittier, CA (2012)